Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HI I have received a huge assemb

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaddanki

Automotive
Oct 27, 2003
US
HI

I have received a huge assembly file from our customer in CATIA v4 .exp format. I impoterd to CATIA as a .model file.

I need to open individual components seperately (not as a whole assembly). Can any one suggest me how to open the individual components from the assembly file.

Thanks in advance.

Jay

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Normally you have to create new Catia v5 parts in which you have to copy/paste the single entities from the v4 model. Then you have to create an assembly (v5) using these new parts. After that you will be able to make modifications or analysis on each component or on the entire assembly.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. In this case ... why not working with details? Or why not creating smaller sub-assembly models (for example)?

hi,

What do you mean by "I impoterd to CATIA as a .model file" ?

How many file do you have in your session ?

What kind of geometry do you have (solides from feature, solide from volume, dittos, only volume or surfaces) ?

Eric N.

catiav5@softhome.net

"I impoterd to CATIA as a .model file." If you mean by this that while using "CATIMP" cat utility. You used "Model" as file type then I believe you have recieved a exp file containing several seperate models.also you can see the no. of models saved at imoprted location. you can view the Catimp.out file generated after CATIMP.

Your question is not very clear... as normally .exp files contains indivisual models only..

Satish

Hi Sorry for misunderstanding. I received a catia v4 file in exp format from our customer. I used the CATIMP utility to convert them to model files and to view them. It is an assembly file. But I want to see (open) seperately, the individual components (parts)of the assembly. How should I go about it.

Thanks in advance.

You could create a blank model for each part.
Overlay the assy.
Use model manage copy to place the part into each individual model file.

hi,

again...

your talking about assembly file, in V4 this is .asm

what kind of file do you have after converting the exp file ?

a session, some models ? to get something on the screen, what file do you open ?

Is your assembly file a .model and your parts different solides/dittos ?

if so you should use filter/layer...

And if you need 1 part / file then do what puck said.

Eric N.

catiav5@softhome.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back