HI, I need to install a 26" flan

Status
Not open for further replies.

khanvessel

Mechanical
May 3, 2006
SA
HI,

I need to install a 26" flange on piping system designed for 5860 psig. ASME 16.47 is limited to CL 900 only, is there any standard for flanges above 24" for CL 2500?

Regards

Vassel

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ask the flange manufacturers.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

I didn't think there were standard ASME B 16.5 flanges above 12" for class 2500?? Table 22 only goes to 12" Even a 12" flange has a thickness of the flange element as 184 mm (!!)

That is one mighty flange for that pressure rating. There's 3.1 million lbs force or 1400 tonnes on a blank flange

That will be a special designed to ASME VIII if you want to stay in the ASME system

Norsok L005 compact flanges have a standard size in class 2500 to 24". You will probably be able to get someone like vector to make you a special relatively easily.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Wow, 26" 2500# ... that's Big Leagues right there. You're looking at a custom flange design here I believe, as LI stated. I thought B16.5 had an appendix for custom flange designs as well, but I could be thinking ASME VIII like LI recommended.

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions -GK Chesterton

You can source a special flange design in this size/class from several of the hub/clamp manufacturers. I work for one so I cannot solicit on this site. Look up GC-LOK.

Just a query out of left field.
If your plant or project is designed and built in accordance with ASME or API then obviously all material must comply with one of these code / standards.
What if you require a "custom built" flange that is not covered by any ASME / API / ASTM codes / standards ?
Do you require approval from the relevant code / standard before installing a non-approved flange ?
Cheers,
Shane

Vassel,

I had some experience with Vector Tecklock clamps in high pressure gas system. The kit comes in a pair of hubs, a clamp and a sealing ring. These are very effective and gives a superb performance than conventional flange joints. Easy to break and replace the sealing elastomer. Check with your size and pressure rating. They go upto 26" but might have to custom design one for you as the rating will be normally limited to 5,444 psi @100F for LF2 material. Make sure that you state the material class you will use for the project as different material will have different pressure limits. They comply to ASME Sec VIII Div 2 and ANSI/ASME.

Ganga D. Deka, P. Eng
Canada

Hub clamp d ed ins are good but not cheap compared to standard flanges. Of course don't forget the size of bolts you're going to need. ...

LittleInch,

Don't have 26" in my standard charts, but do have 24" and 30", so the 26" would be someplace in between:

NPS # Bolts Size Bolts
24" CL2500 CF 18 2-3/4"
30" CL2500 CF 24 3-1/2"

Weights, clearances would be much less than the equivalent clamp connectors.and use the same seal system.

Vassel,
Have you looked into the NOSOK designs, or one of more of the derivatives thereof?

Well since khanvassel hasn't bothered logging in since he posted the question on wed 29th, I'm not going to spend much more time on this.

rtmorgan- what standard charts are you getting a 30" class 2500 from? I looked at Norsok L005 and it finishes at 24". (assume CF stands for compact flange) but man those are some size bolts.... you'll probably need a crane to lift them.

LIttleInch
True that to both points.

Standard charts come from published data of the four companies who manufacture CF's (yes that stands for Compact Flanges).
You are correct, sir, Standard L-005 does stop at 24", but others have made a modified design in CL2500 for larger sizes.

Hi All,

Thanks for all responses and SORRY I couldn't reply due to some personal reasons.

My client do not want to install clamp type flange due to high H2S in the gas, I believe ASME VIII design would be a good option as per LittleInch, however will try to contact GC LOK and Vector.

Thanks again
Vassel

Thanks for responding.

Would be interesting to know how it works out as this is not a standard pressure for that size.

I suspect the ASME VIII design might turn out to be a considerable size and weight. When people check normal ASME flange design using ASME VIII they often fail but are allowed to use them as they are a recognised flange design. Good luck.

Khanvassel,
Clamp type joints are very effective for sour gas service. Ask Vector, GC Lok to provide a reference list where they have supplied their clamps for sour service. They are very well known in the oil and gas industry.

Ganga D. Deka, P. Eng
Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back