Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi, I'm trying to put the shop floo 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi, I'm trying to put the shop floor assembly section into a standard operation and conduct a work measurement to get a standard time. But the problem is there are so many processes such as nut fasterning, belt, chain, pulley, etc. to be assembled and isn't need to identified each task to one standard procedure...seem this would take times...anybody could help...thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

aboon:

Is the goal to get a standard time so you can see where you are; then improve it?

Read a book called "Lean Thinking" by james Womack and Daniel T. Jones. It will give you an introduction to Lean Manufacturing. It will also give you the steps.

I would first determine the value stream of your process. Really look at all the movement and que's that are there in between each step of your process...that is waste (very big deal when looking for improved production.)

Value stream analysis is by far the best tool that is often overlooked when doing any process improvement. Look at "Learning to See" by Mike Rother and John Shook. This book takes you step by step through the analysis (something that Womack and Jones didn't go into detail over.)

Divide the process into segments, if they are not clearly defined, use que locations as cut-off points until they too are gone. When you have these divisions, do a time study and compare process time to takt time. It will really illustrate the areas that need improvement.

If work procedure documentation is your goal (like ISO or QS), then this process will also help you identify the areas in which to document.

If you have any specific questions....post them. We get a lot of good feedback around here.

Carl

I would take standard times from each operation then just add them all up. After you take some time measurements you will have an average time that it will take. Use these times and just include it for the average of that area then go on measuring other times that are involved for creating this part ex: inspection, pick and placing in different areas, packing, shipping......

Swaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back