Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HIC requirement for Castings 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sendelkr

Materials
May 12, 2009
SG
As per NACE MR 0175/ISO 15156 clause 8,Conventional forgings with sulfur levels less than 0.025 %, and castings, are not normally considered sensitive to HIC or SOHIC.
from this the interpretation is that casting doesnt require HIC, Is the interpretation correct , or really castings require HIC.

thanks in advance for your reply

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thanks Strider6
but the Vendor states that it will take a minimum of 30 days for HIC test . so he is asking for the Alternate such as maintaining sulpur and phosporous content which is no where mentioned in the standard NACE MR 0175/ISO 15156 for casting.
kindly provide me any standard which mentions these specification for the casting.

castings require HIC

Assuming that 'HIC testing' is being alluded to, it is down to a risk assessment by the 'end user' (under ISO 15156 it is always the end user who is responsible). The standard has given a guide as to the probability; an assessment of the consequences is then required to arrive at a decision basis for testing, or not testing. The probability rating is likely to be low, particularly as the supplier is applying additional compositional controls, which would then require some pretty drastic consequences to warrant HIC testing.

A further guide to probability is given by EFC 16 wherein it is stated that
no special requirements are required (sic) for castings
which is probably where the ISO document obtained its text from.

A HIC test exposure duration is 96 hours and, allowing for machining, preparation and reporting, could be feasibly completed within a week.

Steve Jones
Materials & Corrosion Engineer

thanks Mr jones, i was reading other forums in which your contribution was awesome i was awaiting for reply that you would be able conclude whether HIC test is mandatory for casting .
Actually my doubt is NACE MR 0175/ISO 15156 clause 8,mentions sulphur and phoporous content only for forging, can you guide me on any other standard which gives me the phosporous & sulphur content for the casting.
Can the same phosporous and sulphur content can be specified as that for forging to the vendor for casting.
As per your reply above you have pertained that HIC test is not compulsory for casting.

All I can say is that a forging has to start from cast material; therefore, if any special compositional restrictions are specified for a forging they will de facto be applicable to the starting material. If you mean are there any specific standards dealing with the chemistry of castings for H2S service, I can only think of DNV OS-F101, that specifies a maximum 0.010 mass % sulphur, which is in the public domain.

Steve Jones
Materials & Corrosion Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back