Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HIC TEST ..Different result for the same Heat Number?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamschool

Mechanical
Jun 20, 2003
IT
I noticed failures for some heat number ,,,and when we re-rest another plate from the the same heat ...some times it pass the test!!

Can we have different result for the same heat number for HIC test.

we used sloution A and the same procedure !!! Can i have answer for my concer and explination about how these result can be different from test to another

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Always the plate passes the HIC...after forming the pipe and take sample from the pipe and conduct HIC test...it failed...

it is strange for me ...i could not understand this...any explination???

You can have failures and passes from the same heat I'm afraid. It suggests the material is near the threshold of resistance to this kind of phenomenon.
Suggest you examine the failures to see what the HIC damage is associated, i.e. is it sulphide inclusions, or microstructural variation, these will influence the test result.

The level of residual stress you have imparted into the item in forming plate to pipe will also have a detrimental effect on the HIC resistance of the material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back