Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HIC test failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

leizhou

Materials
Jul 29, 2008
GB
Good morning.

I have a ASTM F65 material, which is a low carbon steel.

It has been encountered a HIC crack during the testing, the crack is 40mm long and due to the orientation, it constitutes a failure.

The chemical has passed which is a quite clean material. What other reason can cause this HIC crack failure?

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SJones,

Can you briefly let me know how heat treatment will affect it? Mine is normalised quenched and tempered.

Thanks

Chemical composition of the steel, specifically sulfur, and the resulting microstructure

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Is the material niobium and or vanadium treated? If so the tempering temperature may affect the test.

Have a metallurgical lab evaluate the failed specimen.

Can you briefly explain test procedure and sample condition before testing?

Chocolates,men,coffee: are somethings liked better rich!!
(noticed in a coffee shop)

Is that anyone know how CLR and CTR been calculated in a HIC test?

My test results said the orientation of the crack cannot resolved by the UT scan, what is that mean?

The test is per NACE TM0284, sample is heattreated machined and polished before testing. I am not familier with the test.

Thanks

High phosphorus or sulphur leads to HIC cracks.What is the thickness of the sample.

Chocolates,men,coffee: are somethings liked better rich!!
(noticed in a coffee shop)

leizhou;
I would suggest you develop a list of questions and discuss them with whomever ran the HIC test, and review the test method. If the mill ran the test, most have competent metallurgical/chem labs that do this testing. If an independent lab ran this test, go back and discuss with them your specific questions, and review the test method. This is the only way you will understand what is going on with your test results.

Thanks metengr,

I have asked the test suplier, they only explain the fact that how I faile the tests.

leizhou;
This seems rather odd to me, leizhou. Did you require the HIC test as part of a material specification purchase? Are you dealing with a lab or a supplier?

If you are the end user of the material, don't bother scraping around for an answer on here: a failure is a failure. If you are the supplier, perform a proper failure analysis instead of scraping around on here.

Steve Jones
Materials & Corrosion Engineer

I am a supplier, but I think it is good to get some ideas before doing a proper failure analysis to make sure if that is needed.

Thanks for so many advises.

You don't really expect a good, solid answer to the cause of failure based on the meager details of the failure that were elucidated in these discussions. If the piece failed and it cost you money and a similar failure might occur again in the future, it would be foolish not to perform a proper failure analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back