Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

HIC test How do we witness it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamschool

Mechanical
Jun 20, 2003
IT
I am inspecting some piping manufactureres... i need to have some tips about this test. How they sheet us in this test... i have NACE "test Method" but i need extra information about it.

Ur feedback is really apreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Step 1)Get hold of NACE MR 0177 and MR 0284 and go through them first.

Step2) Check the solution PH (IS it solution A or Solution B)

Step 3) Check the Solution temperature and temperature control mechanism and temperature measuring facility (Temperature of the solution not the room). Verify the Log. Power stand by arrangements etc.

Step 4) Carefully inspect AND RECORD THE CONDITION OF THE TEST PIECE INITIALLY.

Step5) Witness Loading of the Piece (Ensure that the samples you are testing are the representative samples and not the specimens which have been heat treated specially for the purpose of passing the tests)and check the arrangements with the spec. Witness Initial Purging and witness the start of H2S Purging, Record the Date, Time, Temperature, Initial PH. Check the rate of FLow. Check the calibration of Flow meter and the thermometer.

Step 6) Carry out surprise checks on the log and the flow rates and the temperature.

Step 7) Witness Unloading and check whether it is the same sample which you loaded, check PH, Temp.

Step 8) Check the samples for failures, make sure you are familiar with Micro or take help from a Metallurgist.

Good Luck

PS: Manufacturer's don't cheat (Atleast always)

It is best to hard stamp the samples with your own stamp as they are cut. Stamp them in a place that will remain visible after preparation of the samples.
Regards,
Quadswift

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back