Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hidden dimension 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sa-Ro

Industrial
Jul 15, 2019
IN
Some of the dimensions in 2D drawing are not visible (not hide / show).

It happens when features are edited after the 2D drawing is prepared / working on copied drawing.

When trying to select visible dimensions, if these hidden dimensions are present near by visible dimensions, these hidden dimensions only selected and blue colour dot appear at extension line starting point, dimension line arrow point.

How to solve this?

SOLIDWORKS 2019, SP4

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sometimes hitting re-build one more time helps.

Also try to hide the view and show it again. This usually helps with mysterious disappearances.

"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert"
Arthur C. Clarke Profiles of the future

Sa-Ro,

You can deliberately hide dimensions on SolidWorks drawings. Could you be accidentally doing this?

I don't have SolidWorks in front of me here. Pull down the edit menu and look for stuff on visibility.

--
JHG

Sa-Ro said:
No I didn't hide.

I just changed the sketch from boss extrude to hole after revolve command.

Video cards are very important to SolidWorks. 3D mechanical CAD is just about the worst thing you can do to a computer.

If you changed a sketch from extrude to revolve, you deleted and replaced the feature the dimension was attached to. That would be why you cannot see your dimension.

--
JHG

I didn't changed extrude to revolve.

In revolve feature, consider three stepped diameter.

After revolve command,

Edit sketch

Change one edge as internal feature and other two remains stepped diameter.

"In revolve feature, consider three stepped diameter.
After revolve command,
Edit sketch
Change one edge as internal feature and other two remains stepped diameter."

I don't understand. You created a revolve feature. Then you went back and edited the sketch used in that revolve feature. I understand so far.

"Change one edge as internal feature and other two remains stepped diameter." What does that mean?

Are you saying you changed one line to an "internal feature"? A line is a line. It has no sense of being internal or external. Its just a line. The feature you create with it can be "internal" or "external" but the line is just a line.

Sa-Ro,

If you add and/or delete objects in your 2D[ ]sketch, you add/delete the features your dimensions are attached to. Your dimensions are not hidden. They are deleted.

If you apply a dimension on your drawing, to a feature, and then you delete[ ]suppress that feature from your model, the dimension gets suppressed. When you unsuppress the feature, the dimension gets unsuppressed. If you delete the suppressed feature, the dimension on your drawing re-appears as an error.

--
JHG

Original sketch

IMG_20200724_214950_nfvvge.jpg

Modified

IMG_20200724_215040_q8ieou.jpg

Aha!!! How many times have I re-learned this lesson?

As you create features and then more features, and then drawings, the references begin to accumulate. A dimension on a drawing is "tied" to an element on the drawing (a particular edge or point). That element is in turn tied to a particular feature on the part. That feature on the part is tied to a particular line in a sketch. As long as that line in that sketch remains, that dimension in the drawing has something to relate to. If however, you delete that line or somehow change its relationship to the part feature, that dimension no longer has a reference. It will show in the drawing as a "hanging" dimension, or will disappear entirely. This applies even if you replace the original line with another one exactly like it. That dimension only referenced that original line in the sketch, not a new one no matter how similar it might be to the original. In your example above, if you made those changes without deleting or adding any lines or points, then your dimension will remain. If however you made that change by just manipulating existing lines and points, then the dimension will remain. Moving lines and points retains their reference dimensions. Deleting lines and points destroys them. Is that your problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back