Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hidden Lines 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

randy64

Aerospace
Jul 31, 2003
US
I have heard two schools of thought concerning hidden lines:

1) Always show all hidden lines unless it creates too much clutter.

2) Never use hidden lines unless it helps to clarify the shape of the part (in other words, if the the part is defined with, say, 3 or more views/sections and those views are enough to clarify the shape of the part, no hidden lines are needed).

Which is it? And documentation, please (even textbook referals) if available.

In the old days - on the board - you could be discerning and judicial with the use of hidden lines, but with the advent of CAD, it's become an all or nothing proposition.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CAD programs make all or nothing the easy way, but they do also allow you to show those you want or to not show those you don't want. So it's still possible to use old days philosophy and think about what you're drawing.

Gilmiril, what you state is true. Unfortunately, our customer has outlawed "view dependent editing" on their drawings (NX9). So, it leaves us in an all or nothing situation.

I vote option 2, however except the reference in ASME Y14.5M-1994 1.4g which implies not dimensioning to hidden lines I'm not sure something like this is in the ASME drawing standards.

Since in CAD 'views are cheap' I can generally add either a section view or broken out section to express what might otherwise rely on hidden lines to do.

Topic has been touched on before maybe you'll find something
Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

If anybody has a copy of Y14.2 there may be come mention of it.

I don't have copy of the standard myself, but Genium manual is pretty straightforward about it: "Hidden lines should be omitted when their use is not required for clarity of the drawing."
(OP mentioned textbook referrals are acceptable :))

"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert"
Arthur C. Clarke Profiles of the future

I look at the use of hidden lines conversely to what the ASME standard says. Rather than always using them except when they reduce clarity of a view, I only use hidden lines when they improve the clarity of a view.

Kenat -- I have an unrelated question for you about another dimensioning topic. I don't know if there's a way to "private message"? Or could you perhaps track down my email address and drop a line?

John-Paul Belanger
Certified Sr. GD&T Professional
Geometric Learning Systems

I concur to omit hidden lines unless they are absolutely necessary. One of the worst violations of drafting conduct is to dimension to a hidden line. When I see this I feel like tracking down the culprit to tar and feather him/her! If one must dimension to a far side edge then use a breakaway view or generate a new view.

Tunalover

Belanger, no private messaging on here as I believe management position is that the site benefits from discussions being out in the open.

However, I did just attempt to connect to you on LinkedIn.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back