Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hidden Objects in Layers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISUdesigner

Aerospace
Jun 24, 2003
US
Does UG have a tendancy to leave objects in layers when objects are deleted? I have multiple layers in which I think all objects have either been deleted or moved to another layer. But the object count is not zero. Is this an issue or am I not moving/deleting everything that I think I am?

Thanks,
Chad Richardson
DARcorporation
richardson@darcorp.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is your problem with componets or some other entity?

If you are deleting/moving components, you have to remember to select Up One Level, to get the component pointer. All components are added to an assembly with an entity count of 2.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

I have the same problem (in part files, not assemblies). Sometimes a part cleanup will get rid of (or at least reduce) the 'phantom' entities. I still don't know what these entities are or how to completely get rid of them. If someone knows, please post!

As looslib pointed out, one source of these phantom entities is 'component' entities that get left behind when you move subcomponents to other layers. This is especially problematic when you split up a large assembly to different layers (say, for drawing purposes).

When a component is selected, UG grabs the 'component' entity, its associated geometry entities, and its subcomponents with their geometry. If this item is a subcomponent of a higher assy (in the work model) you may go up the tree and select the higher assy component also (the phantom entity). You can then move the entire mess to the layer of your choosing. If, however, you have already spent hours moving hundreds of subcomponents to specific layers and months building a drawing with several hundred views, (as I have) you may consider suicide as an option.

This is a prime candidate for a UG/OPEN utility that would search the database and identify component entities that do not share a layer with any of their subentities. UG/OPEN does provide the capability to change the properties (like layer) of an entity without affecting its subentities. Does anyone out there have such a utility?

MigrantFirmWorker,

Thanks for the tip about components, but my problem is with the individual part files. As I add features, edit features, and delete features the entity count doesn't seem to match up with the number of actual entities. For example, if I'm working on layer 10 then later decide to move everything from layer 10 to layer 12, I'll unblank everything and do a select all and move to layer 12 but UG will report there are a few entities still on layer 10.

I have had the same problem, and unfortunately, been unable to fix it consistently. Here are a few more possibilities:

Groups have the same issues as components. You can move/delete the entities in a group and leave the 'group' entity behind. If it is unnamed, PartCleanUp will get it for you. If it is named you must select it by name.

On drawings: view dependent entities can be view dependently erased. They then become unselectable. Remove-all-view-mods is the only solution I've found. This goes back to the suicide issue.

On drawings: when a view is updated, silhouette?sp curves are created on the layer of the parent solid. If you move the solid to a different layer, the curves stay behind. I can't remember if the curves are moved at the next view update or not.

I hope this helps.

I´ve experienced similar problem when I imported stuff, I got entitys that were invisible. The only way I know to find out what it is, is to use "inqure" feature from gm-tool kit. Usully it´s corrupted views, if I´m not misstaken there should be an UF program specially made for deleting thoose corrupted view bacause you can´t delete them with UG´s delete views. So check if you have more views than usually.

//Finally holiday

Hi Folks,

Having use UG for over 20 years, these "unseen" objects have been a constant problem. I finally got around to writing a User Function routine that exposes what these
objects are and allows moving or deleting them. Please see the free utility at
Cheers,
-MikeN

Hi Chad,

There are many, many ways that NX can show object counts under layers yet none be visible. 99.9% of the time they are valid objects. They could be view dependent to another view. They could be collecting objects for groups and components - the list goes on. I encourage you to try my layer tool to expose these object types. I'm sure you'll discover their reason for existence. You can download it at for free.

Cheers,
-MikeN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back