Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hide components in assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

brkica

Mechanical
Apr 3, 2008
NL
Hi,

Can some one tell me how to hide one of more components in an assembly in FEMAP. I usually import assemblies from CAD as a .step file. Sometimes it is necessary to hide some componenets (in order enable selection of certain surfaces on other components). Usually this is very straightforward in other preprocessors. Here I am reading something about layers and groups within FEMAP, but I don't get it all. I suppose if I have an assembly consisting of two componenets, I should make two layers and put each componentent on one layer. However, I can create layers but I can not assign a certain component to a certain layer.

Regrads.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hey brkica,

I'm not yet a FEMAP expert, but here's a couple things I have had good luck with. First, if you are able to export as a parasolid file (.x_t), FEMAP seems to like those a whole lot.

When you first attempt to import the geometry, there is a check box for "increment layer". This will separate solids into individual layers, which can be helpful if the assembly is not too large. As an alternative, if you already have the assembly imported, you should be able to use the selector tool (set to Solid) and select one object, then right click in the empty space and select Layer.

I typically use layers more than groups now, but groups can be helpful too. For instance, you can generate groups with elements of all the same material or property, and then assign these areas to their own layers afterward if you need to.

Good luck,

Scott

Guys,

Groups are more powerful, because its possible to have an entity in more than one group, but only in 1 layer at a time.

tg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back