Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hiding Text on Background sheets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddeck

Mechanical
Jul 4, 2005
CA
Hello,

I've setup a template for our company but need to add some functionality but don't know how.

We have a revision block with Drawn, Checked and Approved where the signatures go for REVs B,C,... (NOT REV-A)

We need these spaces blank so when we print there is white space to sign. But after the drafter needs to go back into the file and insert who signed the drawing (and the dates) along with the words "Signature on File". This is what we create a PDF to send out for quotes and etc.

So I need the text to be there but some way to toggle it on and off without switching to the background sheet. I put it on its own layer, so you can go to the background sheet and turn the layer off, but I hope to eliminate that step.

Note that the text is all linked to the custom file properties so the text is filed in automatically.

Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi ddeck,
Property texts can be placed as 'invisible' text strings by entering a space in the value field.
Set up all the custom properties that you don't want displayed using a space for the value then place property text at the required positions on your background.
They will appear empty for printing but will appear when you fill in the file properties.
Personally I would enter a "." in the value field so that you know there IS a field there. I've been caught out in the past copying invisible fields.
Hope this helps.

bc

Thats what were are starting to do. What do you do for dates? We here have changed the dates to text so we can put spaces, then change back to dates when needed for revs B,C,...

I going to try to create a macro that will go to the background sheet, hide the necessary layers with 1 button click. Hopefully I can get that started soon (wish SE had a macro recorded!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back