Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hiding Windows from task bar 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eroe

Mechanical
Jul 29, 2009
US
Does anyone know a way to hide certain windows from the task bar (win xp)? There is a program I use at work that loads two cmd prompt windows (along with the window for the program itself) that take up a lot of room on my task bar, so I would like to load the program that opens the two cmd prompts, then run a script to hide them from the tray. I cant simply close them, because they are used to communicate with servers, but I never use them. Is there a way to hide the windows, but still keep them visible in the ALT+TAB menu, just in case I ever need to use them for some unforeseen reason?

Maybe there is something to set in the regisry to make all cmd prompt windows run in the background?

I am not too picky on how to hide these windows, I just want more space for programs on the tray.

Any help would be great, I am somewhat familiar with VB, but I have never used it for controlling windows before..

Thanks for the help!

Eric Roe
Electro-Mechanical Engineer
Airfloat LLC

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not really hiding them but if you have a wide screen, why not put the task bar on the left or right. On my screen I need at least 20 different ones open before they regroup or split.

Alternatively, this is what I used to do on windows3.1 but I don't know whether it still works.

1) Under linker/system change to /subsystem: windows
2) This will work as long as you are not using arguments. Add
Code:
int __stdcall WinMain(int hInstance,
                     int hPrevInstance,
                     char*    lpCmdLine,
                     int       nCmdShow)
{
   return main ();
}

Do you have access to the code? It's unclear that you can do this on a compiled executable.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

IRstuff, No I do not have access to the code..

xwb, Thanks for the advice on putting the task bar on the side, simple solution, never even considered doing it!

Thanks for the help guys, its not the ideal solution to the problem, but it sure is the easiest!

Eric Roe
Electro-Mechanical Engineer
Airfloat LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back