Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High and Low Roof Condition 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXEng-USA

Structural
Sep 29, 2016
US
I have a condition where the low end of a high roof and the high end of a low roof meet and there is only 12" clearance between the two. If this gap were larger, I would just have both a high beam and a low beam to pick up each roof respectively. The other idea I had was to use a single high beam with a ledger (angle welded to web of beam) to pick up the low roof. This will place some torsion into the beam but given the circumstance I think it is my best option.

What have you all done in a similar situation?

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=88fb9793-b44d-4bac-901c-4c8da2f9b567&file=HIGH_-_LOW_ROOF_CONDITION.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

TX said:
The other idea I had was to use a single high beam with a ledger (angle welded to web of beam) to pick up the low roof. This will place some torsion into the beam but given the circumstance I think it is my best option.

I like that option. Torsion shouldn't be an issue as the upper and lower diaphragms should create a rectifying couple to limit torsion in the beam. Another perk is that this setup would provide a robust mechanism for transferring diaphragm shear across the step if such transfer is needed. Other setups that I've seen but like less:

1) Low beam and an HSS "fence" on top upon which the upper joists bear.

2) High beam and an HSS fence below for the lower joists to bear.

3) High beam and hung bracket at each low joist for support.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back