Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

High capacity Li-ion

Status
Not open for further replies.

autx790

Electrical
Feb 18, 2009
US
I need to make a large capacity li-ion battery (60Ahr.) However, I do not need a large discharge rate. I will probably make three 20Ahr cells and switch them in and out as need.

2.6Ahr 18650s i've found to be the easiest to purchase, but I'd rather not have to solder 8 or 9 of these together so a cell with a higher capacity (at least 4Ahr) and light weight would be nice. Can anyone recommend a good, reliable, high capacity cell to construct these batteries with, as well as a good retailer?

Currently I'm looking into what SAFT has to offer.

Thanks!
Peyton

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the response. I had seen these cells before, but they are Iron Phosphate and only 1350mAhr. This would require even more cells than if i went with 2.6Ahr 18650s.

I'm looking for higher capacity cells.

Yeah, the thing is, i'm trying to develop my own Battery Management System. These cells are also Iron phosphate and pretty expensive. It also appears they are not accepting new customers for them. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Their website claims that the 55Ah battery is the only one that is available to new customers.

I think that you're going to run into all sorts of problems with parallelling batteries on your own. The weakest cell in the stack will vampire the stronger ones.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Thanks for the info, I hadn't seen that those were available. They would still be a lot more expensive than I want to spend, and a bit on the heavy side too.

I agree about the downside to parallelling a lot of cells. That's another reason I don't want to go the 18650 route. I really just need a proof of concept for what I'm building so it's not something that needs to be (or will be) in operation a while. The cells I would really go with are made by Quallion, but it looks like they couldn't produce enough in the time I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back