Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High cycle fatigue in piping 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SverkerO

Mechanical
Nov 24, 2009
SE
Hello,
Is there any codes or documents that gives guidance how to evaluate high cycle fatigue in piping systems. What I’m after is a procedure that originates from the nominal beam stress range and through the use of stress indices gives the stress range to enter an applicable S-N curve.

Best Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You'll find it in ASME B31.3 and the therein referenced sections of BPV VIII.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

This report from Europipe may be what you're looking for.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

Thank You all for the replies,

Especially LSThills first reply (on the 25th) was very helpful and informative. However that reply has vanished from the tread, how come?
Best regards

SverkerO (Mechanical)

BigInch (Petroleum) 29 Nov 09 19:09 Probably too much "advertising".

Just the correct source : ASME B31 COMMITTEE Code for Process Piping

ASME B31.3 Process Piping Design Appendix W Fatigue Analysis
Tony Paulin
William J. Koves, PhD P.E. ASME FELLOW
Glynn E. Woods
Ronald W. Haupt

L S THILL

Thill, I didn't delete it.

But you could just give the title and a link to where to buy it. 2 lines... if you wanted to. Know what I mean?

It wasn't me.

Mr Breen manages to do it with one line,
thread378-248080

I have now studied some of the material you tipped me of. Although I have not obtained ASME B&PV Code Section VIII, Division 2 yet, I think this will be the appropriate way to go until the ASME B31.3 APPENDIX W is released (If I understand it correctly it is still a draft).

However in Div 2 the structural stress is used. How is this obtained from a regular Pipe flexibility analysis? Are there stress indices available for common piping components?

Best Regards

SverkerO (Mechanical)

Chris PVP Paper CHICAGO 2008

ASK FOR CODE CASE ASAP TO:

APPENDIX W HIGH CYCLE FATIGUE ASSESMENT OF PIPING SYSTEMS (Draft 3/25/09) CONTACT ASME B31 COMMITTEE Code for Process Piping Tony PaulinWilliam J. Koves, PhD P.E. ASME FELLOW Glynn E. WoodsRonald W. Haupt

Please Read Additional information
RECOMMENDED PRACTICE DET NORSKE VERITAS DNV-RP-D101

STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS OF PIPING SYSTEMS

Recommended Practice DNV-RP-D101, October 2008
Page 41

APPENDIX J
FATIGUE CALCULATION EXAMPLE
The next two pages show an example on how fatigue calculations can be performed according to PD5500.
The purpose is only to show a format based on PD5500, Annex C, and PD5500 working example W.6.2.3.
Refer section 3.12.4 in this RP for a description of the piping being analysed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back