Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High Dispersion Trays for Hydrotreating 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sshep

Chemical
Feb 3, 2003
US
Does anyone in this forum have knowledge of improved distributor design for conventional hydrotreating reactors(mixed phase, downflow, 9ftDia x 45ftT-T)? Our application is to treat kerosene streams for a downstream chemical process for which S and N are poisons.

We are considering a change-out of our conventional trays to get some additional reactor volume and any better performance which is possible from such a change. Currently I am inquiring into Shell's High Dispersion (HD) trays. I have a concern that the cost to benifit ratio of a change-out could be overstated.

If anyone has either installed or considered installing this type hardware, I would be most interested in your comments and experience. Thanks, sshep

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can also try Haldor Topsoe VLT trays.
Again these tray would be expensive, but you are assured of very good V+L distribution on the entire bed,(+/-3°C or even better). I experienced +/-1°C when Guarantee Test Run was done. Only one in 37 RTD's deviated by 5°C otherwise it was +/-1°C.
Topsoe would give longer life, if they have VLT's as distributor/redistributor.In some cases, it can range from 10-30% extended life cycle.
Talk to them, they can also give you a competetive adavantage.
Regards,
SAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back