Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

High Fluid Levels in a horizontal oil well

Status
Not open for further replies.

cspender

Petroleum
Jan 4, 2011
US
I have high fluid levels in a pumping horizontal oil well. (100' from surface). We have pulled the pump, it is working well. One source says we may have gas interference in the pump, but we are producing only 200 mcf per day. I am of the opinion we don't have enough pump capacity in the well. Any ideas or thoughts would be helpful.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd tend to agree with you... where there any pump sizing calculations done? If all the previous wells are vertical and it's the same size pump, then considering the inflow performance from a horizontal well (there are various different ones that assume the drainage area is rectagular or oblong or elliptical), the pump is probably undersized.

I've been out of country problem is probably solved, but realistically 200 mcfd being forced through a sucker rod pump is a lot in my experience and is probably gas locking. I have more questions than answers. How much fluid is it moving versus actual design? If you need to move over 500 bfpd then I'd get a jet pump or KUDU if its shallow enough (above-3000'). Beam pumps are maxed out in my experience above 500 per day, by the time you consider pump changes, ros and tubing wear. Is this just a clean up of a frac job? How high is SN above horizontal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back