Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High Output Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace3518

Electrical
Oct 13, 2002
US
I am trying to build a power supply that will be 13.8 volts and handle up to 50Amps. I will be used to power car amplifiers off 120V AC. I have found some available units for sale but would like to build my own. If you know where to find schematics for it or have ideas please let me know. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

QST Magazine, published by ARRL, Dec 1998 and Jan 1999 has a two-part article on building a 13.8 V, 40A switching power supply. Maybe you can use this as a starting point to decide if you want to do it or not. Often these articles include information on parts, printed circuit boards, etc. There is a link to these articles on the ARRL website, but they are accessible only to ARRL members. If you know a ham he might be able to access the .pdf files for you, or you can buy reprints from ARRL, I'm sure

You can probably find more power supplies articles if you go to ARRL website and search the QST indexes.

Also the ARRL's Radio Amateur's Handbook generally has some power supply construction articles in each edition. These may be available at your library.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back