Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High Pressure H2 - Material Compatibilities 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjf1

Mechanical
Feb 4, 2002
CA
Does anyone know of a good reputable source of information on material compatibilities for high pressure (6500 psig) hydrogen? I know there are problems with hydrogen embrittlement of some steels, and that some elastomers are problematic due to the small size of the H2 molecule, but I haven't found any definitive answers on what definitely can and can't be used.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

With regards to your question. Are you looking for plumbing lines, fittings, filters, etc.? In any case I think that Parker would be a good bet for material information, perhaps try to look to see if they have an on-line cataloque. This might be a good start to check out compatibility of materials with H2. They manufacture all sorts of H2 system equipment such as fittings, lines, filter, pressure regulators, etc. Also, you might want to look into safety regulations dealing with H2.

What are you trying to build? At this stage I am also researching some possible H2 projects and I will probably have similar questions to yours down the road.

Cheers,

For metals, an excellent source is the "Handbook of Stainless Steels" Chapter 46, published by McGraw-Hill in 1977. May be available from ASM International.

For elastomers, Parker O-Ring Division, tel 859.269.2351, is a good bet, per pkopic's suggestion.

Thanks for the tip! For others who are interested in this topic, I also found a helpful document at NASA's website.

Go to
and click on the "Hydrogen Safety" box in the tree. There is a good section on hydrogen embrittlement, and a table in the appendix indicating the susceptibility of various materials to hydrogen embrittlement. The source of the table is given as:

Chandler, W. T. and R. J. Walter, “Testing to Determine the Effect of High Pressure
Hydrogen Environments on the Mechanical Properties of Metals,” in Hydrogen
Embrittlement Testing, ASTM 543, American Society for Testing and Materials,
Philadelphia, PA (1974): pp. 170-197.

Does anyone know where I could find this ASTM document? I couldn't find it at the ASTM web site.

Kfriesen - Thank you for the NASA Doc! Good stuff!

The ASTM info you are seeking has probably morphed into the ASTM Test Method G 142, titled "Standard Test Method for Determination of Susceptibility of Metals to Embrittlement in Hydrogen Containing Environments at High Pressure, High Temperature, or Both", found in ASTM Standards Volume 03.02.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back