high pressure natural gas piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASMEQC

Mechanical
Feb 27, 2013
US
hello fellow members
i am wondering if there is a building and welding code for high pressure natural gas piping? This will be in the state of Illinois.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

More information required:

Above or below ground ?
Pipe size, material and pressure ?
Who owns the pipe ?
Part of an electric power plant ?
etc ?

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

thanks for the reply's
i will have a look in International Fuel Gas Code.
this is above ground. the pipe sizes vary from small tubing to 4 inch. mostly A106-B. Pressure is around 1500psi to 2000psi. one of our customers will own the pipe units. No this not part of any power plants.
I am almost thinking it may fall in the ASME B31.8 category.

It is extremely important what the pipe is doing, where the gas is coming from and going to and what kind of building, what kind of plant it is, what company is operating it, what their core business is. Is it fuel gas? Is it feed stock? Is it a small distribution system. Is it for one commercial user. There are a number of national, state and local codes that could apply, depending on your answer to those questions.

The above ground units are part of a underground storage. Gas is stored underground until needed then pumped to a distribution site. I would say it is a fuel gas. Some of the questions i do not have answers to yet.
Thank you all for your help.

One thing is certain, it is NOT fuel gas. It can only be fuel gas after it has passed through the end user's meter. It is a natural gas storage site. What kind of "distribution site"? Is the site involved in any manner with interstate commerce, or is it attached to an interstate pipeline company's pipelines? Is the client an interstate pipeline company. Will the gas go directly into a local (intrastate) distribution company's facilties?

ASMEQC,

Can you give a clearer indication of what this project is, who is designing it and who is building it.

so far you have said:
Its a high pressure system (1500 to 2000 psig)
Pipe size is "small tubing" to 4 inch
One of the customers will own the "pipe units" whatever they are
It's part of an underground storage unit

FYI, when you pump gas into an "underground storage unit", this is more commonly known as a depleted oil field. The gas coming back out isn't the same - it will have water and contaminants mixed in. Most underground sites feature pipes much bigger than 4".

As you're building this in the US, I think you need much more help than an internet forum can provide before you run into some serious legal trouble.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

We have been asked to quote on a project that involves building some small well house units with 2 small ASME pressure vessels (SEPARATORS) in them. We have been asked to quote just the vessels and to quote building the whole units. They will connect to the piping that is already in place. I just want to know what other codes that could be involved for the quoting. When the units would leave the shop they would be complete for another contractor to install to the existing connections. I can not release the customers name at this point.

Thanks for response. Makes a lot more sense now.

I would go for asme b31.8 as an initial good start point. You won't go far wrong.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

The state of Illinois's administrative code or statutes will likely define the design code required to be used depending on the service . The customer's specification should also define the required code. And, you may need a PE stamp on the dwgs, so the PE should know.

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back