Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

high Pressure pumping

Status
Not open for further replies.

vodeni

Civil/Environmental
Oct 25, 2007
US
Got a challenge. Need to lift approximately 700 gpm of water approximately 1,300 feet. Looking at different options, intermediate booster pumps, etc.., but I am curios if anyone has experience in lifting water at such a high pressure. Any tips on pumps, piping, etc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Oh that's still ANSI#300. For a minute I thought we were talking 1300 meters.

Are we going up a hill or are you down in a well? You can try doing it with one pump if you want, but not suction lift.

"The problem isn't working out the equation,
its finding the answer to the real question." BigInch

vodeni,

A piston or a piston diaphragm pump can do this easily. A piston pump will be the more economic option, if there are not many solids in the water. A positive displacement pump of that size (flow, not pressure) is not cheap but I think cheaper than working with various centrifugals in serial.

Thank you all,
I was looking at a multistage centrifugal pump that can give me over 500 psi. But I am a little bit concern about piping, I understand that ANSI #300 should cover it, but what kind of pipes and joints are rated for 550psi and not even thinking about air release valves, water hammer control, etc..

Someone suggested using flexible stainless steel pipe (I am not quite sure if that is a good solution). In any case it would be great to run the entire length of a pipeline without separate booster station.

Thanks again

vodeni,

Can't you send a (handmade) sketch of your pipeline layout? You are taling about air release valves. That sounds as if your pipeline goes up down.

I count a multistaged as one pump.

You can always use steel pipe and welded joints. You can probably find GR Plastic pipe, HDPE, etc. that might work for that pressure. Think I saw that Victalic even works to 300#. Lots of options.

You only need intermediate booster stations if you run out of pressure from pressure drop in a long horizontal run and have to put in another pump, but that might be 40 miles away or something. Depends on your pipeline profile. If its all straight up, do it with one pump.

The pipeline literally climbs up the hill, so as it goes up there will be slight changes in slope with possible peaks and short downturns. I am not quite sure yet, I just got the job. Looks to me that a 300 HP pump should do it, just need to find the pump to give me approx 700gpm@1,250 feet (I assume to use 10" pipe and have approximatly 20-30 feet of headloss.

Someone mentioned HDPE pipe, can you really use them at such high pressures: over 500 psi. My understanding is that ductile iron is not even rated over 350 psi. I feel, if there is HDPE pipe rated for that kind of pressure thatwould be most cost-effective solution

Thanks again for your kind support

With a 10" straight pipe and a flow rate of 700 gpm your head loss due to friction should be only about 5-6 feet (water@20 °C and weldless steel pipe).

DriscoPlex™ 5300 Climate Guard™ pipe, molded fittings and fabricated fittings are manufactured from
high-density, high molecular weight PE 3408 polyethylene compound that meets or exceeds ASTM D
3350 cell classification 345464C, and is listed by the Plastic Pipe Institute in PPI TR-4 with HDB ratings
of 1600 psi (11.04 MPa) at 73°F (23°C) and 800 psi (5.52 MPa) at 140°F (60°C).

Maybe. What is a HDB rating?

To make things complicated I just found out that the actual length of the pipeline is approximately 45,000 feet. The client appears to want us to use 6" Flexsteel pipe, that would put additional Oh gosh! 700 psi needed.
Now my head is spinning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back