Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

high pressure reactor problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramarc

Chemical
Jan 7, 2005
FR
Hi!
I´m currently calculation of the dimensions of a small (inside diameter 100 mm, height 200 mm)) cylindrical lab reactor with a flat head closure (like a blind flange with bolts). THe working pressure is 120 bars.

The flat head blind fange type of closure have three approx 10 mm round threaded NTP holes for inlet, outlets and pressure transmitter.

My problem is that I don´t know how to calculate the desired flange thickness. COuld you give me some ideas how to to this and in idea of the desired amounts of bolts and dimension of these?

best regards

Andy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Prex, the sightglass is attached in the sight glass unit. THe sightglass unit has a 2" NTP male connection. No other holes than the 2" NTP is necessary for the sight glass unit.

best regards

andy

I mean the bolt holes for the end flat covers, supposing they are tapped into the 35 mm thickness.
I think that to go further in the advice you should provide drawings, but suppose this is not the best place to go that deep.
If you don't intend to use welding in assembling the animal and it will contain only a cold liquid under pressure, you might decide to go on and use the hydrotest to insure that the vessel will withstand the working pressure.
Otherwise my advice is that you have your design reviewed by an experienced engineer.

prex

Online tools for structural design

Prex! thanks for your answers and advices!
Obviously I´m not an structural engineer and yes, my drawings will be reviewed but an experienced engineer. I´m in a totally different field but I use this thread to learn and compare with my "own calculations" which will not totally be the "foundation" for the construction.

And yes there will be no welds on this one and therefor quite a monster!

Got a good name for it? ;)

I agree that we've probably gone too far in detailed design for this vessel where an engineer needs to be directly hired to figure all these details out.

GB-

When you get a chance, could you look up what paragraphs in the Div 1 provide the excemption you're referring to? I don't deal with many flat heads but am interested in learning more.

jt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back