Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

High Pressure Triaxial Cell - Cell Fluid, silicone oil leaks in to the specimen , URGENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bardia84

Civil/Environmental
Aug 25, 2014
CA
Hi all,

I am desperately writing here. I am doing my PhD and have a serious problem with leaking the cell fluid into the specimen. The fluid is silicone oil and the pressure goes high upto 6 MPa.

I have done so many leak tests but no luck. based on the leak tests I can say the O-rings do not seal well.

Do you have any idea that might give me more clues.

Thanks,
Bardia

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try using glycerine instead of silicone oil. Silicone oil is very hard to contain with O-rings. Also, I'm assuming you are referring to O-rings that seal the membrane to the upper and lower bases of the load path. You might consider using O-rings that are slightly larger and slightly smaller in diameter than what you are currently using.

I assume you are using silcone greese around the top and bottom caps to help seal between the membrane and the cap. If not, give it a try.

You could also use a second membrane and second set of o-rings, might help, might not.

Good luck.

Mike Lambert

Thanks a lot Ron, I tried the O-rings smaller that I was using before. It made it better as sealed it to higher level of pressure but still leaked within the desired pressure range. The thing is as I had just two smaller O-rings I used one on top and one at the bottom. Now my question is does it make any differences if I use more small O-rings at the ends?

Also, adding another membrane would make the sealing better or not?

Thanks,
Bardia

Oh, Mike, I just saw your reply. As this page was remained open on my computer since yesterday, it was not updated.

Yes I am using high vacuum silicone grease at the ends to help seal.

Thanks a lot,
Bardia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back