Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

High profile resposibility, but without the resources 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurbineGen

Electrical
Mar 1, 2007
US
It appears I have just found myself in an all too familiar situation which I can never seem to get out of correctly and this time it's high profile, so I need a little advice. The problem is that I have much responsibility and not enough power to change it.

Here's the situation: I'm heading up a new department at work in which I am responsible for the manufacture of a new product line (mobile power stations) as well as with much of the engineerning. It is a new and challenging product that most everybody in the plant acknowledges extreme difficulties I will be facing and jokes about it occasionally.

While I love the challenge, I do not have adequate resources. The problem is that the department hasn't fully been set up yet, but my superiors are asking for very aggressive delivery times. I will eventually have my own employees and my own building, but for now I must borrow workers from other departments that are already swamped with work and their boss's have their own agendas which may not include my product line. Unfortunately, I'm not very good with people which further compounds the issue. I know I need to be more assertive without sounding arrogant, an issue which I've been getting better. The positive attitude and perpetual smile on my face only goes so far...

My superiors are well aware that my timeline has been further compressed due to vendors not delivering on time. They are also well aware of the potential lack of resources, people and tooling. I'm scheduling a meeting with my boss tomorrow about buying the proper tooling and equipment, which will help significantly.

However, I don't want to make excuses, I want to make results.

How should I approach the other supervisors with my departments needs? How can I make it pertinent to them?

If I do fall short of my deadlines, how can I explain this to my superiors without it sounding like I'm making excuses for my failures?

I should also add that I'm a fairly new employee and have worked here ony a few months.

Thanks for any advice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It looks like you had a good start. Now it is time to follow up on it, by making people wanting to help you, simply because you are the one asking. This does not only apply to the bosses, but especially to the guys in the workshop you need.
This sounds impossible, but it is not the case. Some steps to take:
1)
- Make them part of the success.
- Thank people out loud in front of their bosses / co-workers.
- Make them feel that they can make honoust deals with you.
- When the first job is complete: post the results on information boards, intranet etc.
2)
- Become active in all social events that company organises. Especially those between departments / workshop / management.
- Make friends within the company.

People will start to respect you because you made things happen and want to become part of the 'winning' team.

Good luck.

I've been thinking about this and the best I can come up with is along the lines of terje61.

Build up favors.

If you go out of your way to help people when you can, they're on average more likely to help you when you need it. If people feel they owe you one, then you may be able to get them to repay on this kind of thing.

Even if can't build up favors as such, if you go out of your way to be nice/pleasent then most people are more likely to help you.

On some of the ideas terje61 mentions be careful that they don't end up seeming patronizing. Our place had a morale boosting organization and some project managers did some of the things terje61 says, and some of them came across very patronizing.

Also, you may be walking the fine line of sucking up/brown nosing - don't go to far.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I've made several "updated" schedules each week with the resources I need. However with each updated schedule I still am not getting the resources I need and thus am continuing to fall behind. I also keep a record of what I'm actually receiving for covering my behind.

It is becoming increasingly apparent that we just don't have the needed manpower at the plant. I'm not the only one who is behind. I have tried to play some catch up by putting on a welding helmet and working on the project myself, but all that got me was a grievance filed by the union.

This is incredibly frustrating. I don't want to have excuses for not meeting my deadlines. I want to meet the deadlines and not have the "why have you failed" meeting. So far I have met all of my deadlines by puttting some buffer in my schedule (by exaggerating the amount of resources I need a bit), but now I'm all out of buffer.

On the bright note, I have talked to my boss about this issue. he has put my project at the top of the priority list for the other supervisors as well. So it is now in their best interest to support my project. So we'll see how this goes.

Thanks for the help.

I'm currently interviewing candidates :)

I'm currently interviewing candidates :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back