Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High Quality Image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishbosh

Mechanical
Sep 12, 2003
GB
NX3

Is it possible to create and save a High Quality Image with transparency and/or sectioning set.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think that can be done.
Trasparency can be rendered using the correct materials a glass or translucent plastic.
Sectioning I've done before now by outputting a parasolid and cutting the solids/sheets and then rendering this up.

Hope that helps,

Mark Benson
Aerodynamic Model Designer

For high quality imaging it ignores translucency setting because it prefers to apply the material as specified i.e. if you assign a translucent material the image will appear as such. There are settings you can apply to type of glass or perspex for example which enhance or prevent internal reflection as well.

High quality image shading also ignores the application of dynamic sectioning. However there is a studio shading option which does not. The interior of your sectioned model will appear in the original solid body color, and translucency does not work for studio shading either. I'd attach an image that shows this but it isn't working at the moment.

Best Regards

Hudson

Please see the image that I have now attached. As you can see the studio shading is active but the dynamic section is not using the material assignments.

This probably wasn't what you wanted but I have been experimenting with making high quality videos of this engine assembly. With any luck I may be able to run off a clip of it appearing to dynamically section while the engine is running. The techniques are all smoke and mirrors involving no small amount of deceit but the preliminary versions looked promising so I'll have to set it to run overnight or in some other downtime until I hit it right then I'll post something to look at.

Best Regards

Hudson

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9749b4f1-c4d9-4125-b552-1567ad0618b8&file=engine-1.jpg
I am not sure about Translucency, but as far as sectioning solid bodies, can't you just use Datum Planes and then perform Trim Body to section the solid(s) instead of using the Section command from the View menu/toolbar? If so, watch out for this affecting any mating conditions/positioning constraints in the assembly.

It might be a good idea to export the assy as a Parasolid, then import the Parasolid to rid yourself of the mating stuff yet keep all the solids in their correct positions and then just Trim Body on the individual solid bodies.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Yeah good on you Tim giving away the trick I was trying to do with the engine. Not as easy as it seems by the way, you have no idea how many non-manifold solid problems that arise when you try to duplicate sectioning by trimming.

Regards

Hudson

Hudson,

I guess aluminum wheels don't give us as many problems when trimming to a Datum...now using sheets or sewn sheet bodies to trim solids, I can very well relate.

I would dread working with large assemblies like some of you guys have to do.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Tim,

The problems related almost exclusively to the fact that unlike the way sectioning works trimming to look like a section isolate parts of some of the solids so that they are no manifold.

The flywheel which trims as it rotates is trimmed in a separate feature from the rest for that reason.

The cylinder pots with their cooling fins create a situation where as you reach the far side you are cutting through the main body and separating portions of the fins on the far side.

This I know about and don't put down to inadequacies or vagaries of the way trimming works, which I do agree can crop up from time to time. Thus far I'm getting as far as frame 37 of 108 in my test run before the trim falls over. I have to analyze why if I'm ever to get it to work. Sorry but it has a low priority so it may take a while.

If you do have trouble trimming ordinarily then I would say run examine geometry to find whether there's anything about your model that you really ought to correct beforehand.

Cheers

Hudson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back