Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High response solenoid valves?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbc438

Automotive
Mar 15, 2006
US
I have a unique application for a high repsonse solenoid valve. I'm using it to open the throttle on a race car. in this application there are two critical things. 1) response time 2) flow. Can anyone point me in the right direction of a high response high flow valve??? Here are my system limits.

Cylinder: 1"bore x 3" stroke

Working pressure: 300psi

force to over come: < 10 lbf

Actuation voltage: 12 - 18 VDC

Amperage Draw: unlimited (for argument sake)

Weight: as light as possible

I'm looking for response times below .001 sec

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I doubt that you could get that kind of response ( 1 msec) with any solenoid owing even if you were able to somehow put saturation current into the solenoid almost instantaneously, owing to the mechanical inertia of the throttle linkage and the solenoid mass. This is not pure electronics but electromechanical.
I think you ought to set more realistic goals.

What is the solenoid plunger stroke?
Why did you give the Cylinder dimension? How it is affects the solenoid? What is the throttle diameter?
The electrical response time for 18V will be 1.5 faseter than the 12V.

I'm looking for a valve response of 1 msec taking into acount that the system will be slower. The cylinder was listed as a system componant to give an idea of flow needed through the valve. I was thinking a large dia popet style valve with an extreamly short through would improve response time.

sbc438

That's awful fast. Does it just need to react that fast, or go to full opening? This will be like hitting your throttle linkage with a hammer. That's it...hook a nail gun to it :).

You can try the automotive fora also.

I always thought race cars would prefer mechanical throttles. Push the pedal, the rods move, something opens ...

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

sbc48,
You don't spec speed of solenoid for your problem. You spec the overall speed of response. It makes no sense at all to say " I want a solenoid with a minimum of 1msec response". You are interested in finding a solenoid which when coupled to your mechanical linkage will give a reasonably fast response. You start out by looking for one whose inertial load is similar to that of the linkage load and then drive it with a current source, neaning you put an enormous voltage on the solenoid for a controlled minimum time to increase the electrical response thus overcoming the inductance of the solenoid. Then you make a determination of whether this is what you want. In any event, you wont drive a mechanical system like yours in 1 msec. You are moving mechanical mass, not electrons.

Are you looking for a solenoid to motivate an existing mechanical linkage, or are you looking to use a solenoid valve as the throttle?

In either case, a solenoid is pretty much an on/off or open/closed device. Not really the ideal thing if you need to modulate throttle position.

Can your engine go from idle to full throttle in 1 msec? There is no point in having a throttle that is more responsive than your engine?

What kind of fuel system runs at a fuel-air pressure of 300 psi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back