Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

High rise design guidelines 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephenJcan

Mechanical
Mar 5, 2001
US
I was wondering if someone would be able to suggest reference books/guides on how to design HVAC for a 6 story animal lab building. What codes and standards would apply?
Thanks for any responses.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First of all, do you want reference books for designing the HVAC system or HVAC system for animal lab. building. HVAC system, pls. refer to ASHRAE Handbooks or CIBSE(UK) Design Guidelines Handbooks.HVAC system for animal lab. building, you probably have to check with some MEP engineers firms who has the experience for doing these types of facilities.

Newengineer:

Broad question. In U.S., AAALAC uses criteria in the "Guide for Care and Use of Laboratory Animals" to accredit animal facilities. The guide doesn't detail HVAC design, but gives space parameters (temp/humidity/etc.). If labs are funded all or in part by the NIH, more strict standards apply.

I would start with local building codes to see what's required. High rises in my area will require a smoke-proof enclosure (stairwell) with a ventilated vestibule at each floor. Several requirements for these. All other stairwells are pressurized to 0.15-0.35 in. w.c.

Look also at ASHRAE. Look at SMACNA duct design standards. Look at NFPA-90A, 92A & B. There are probably some texts out there that compile basic design requirements from these and other sources.

Good luck, -CB

Thanks for the replies.
Chasbean1 that's the kind of info I was looking for. I will check into that Animal lab reference.
The stairwell pressurization w/ ventilated vestibule on every floor is something I will have to check into to see if it's necessary in this kind of building but I am not sure which code/standard requires it.
Thanks again for your help!

Code may not require stairwell pressurization but i do not want to walk down six flights of stairs full of smoke. Put a fan on the top of the stairs & a relief damper and give them a V.E'd system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back