Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High speed milling

Status
Not open for further replies.

cammotion

Industrial
Jul 27, 2008
US
I would like to know from any of you CNC programmers how you approach high speed roughing with cavity mill. We machine things like 303 stainless, 17-4 PH, P20 and 7075 aluminum.

I would like to achieve efficient metal removal, and lately we've been using some of the guidelines from the cutter manufacturer (OSG)and are getting some results, like .250 deep with a 3/4" dia. running at 5200 RPM, and 100 IPM in 303.

The issue I'm interested in is keeping the tool engagement angle to a level that you can sustain the mumbers above without breaking the cutting tool, especially as you approach closed corners. Yes, there are corner slow-down settings, and there is trochoidal, but you have to be very careful especially in the corners. The new "corners" tab under the "cutting" menu helps to make smoother "radii" in the toolpath stepovers and is an improvement.

I'd be interested in what result you may be getting, especially in the harder materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back