Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

High Speed wear resistant material 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savita01

Mechanical
Jun 20, 2022
IN
I would like to know what kind of material I can use as wear plate in high speed rotating machine.
The machine is rotating at high speeds (1400 to 1500 rpm) and requires high wear resistant steel material.
The machine is used to grind a mixture of rice, maize, and other food materials to powder form.
Due to high rotating speed of plate wearing of the wear plate takes place by this rice, maize mixture. What kind of steel material can I use so that I can increase the life of this wear plate?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is it mated with?
What is it now?
What size and shape does it need to be?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

One option maybe ASTM A128, Hadfield Manganese, or AR Plate.
Down side is that the base material is non-magnetic which could be an issue when used with food products.
The stuff work hardens like crazy.

Hi EdStainless,
Thank you for your response.
The wear plate is mated with another disc which is coupled with the drive from motor. The disc rotates at 1400 to 1500rpm. The rotation of the disc, thus also rotates the wear plate with it.
The Wear plate has thickness 10mm and is in rectangle size of 900mm x 350mm.
We are in initial phase of design and were planning to use D2 material. But D2 plates result in bending when heat treated which can create problems in further machining.
Most of the wearing takes place due to abrasion of the food particles.
Please suggest suitable material.

D2 just about has the lowest distortion and highest wear resistance of any tool steel.
You just need to plan on flat grinding after hardening.
At that thickness you may be able to air quench (maybe forced air) which should distort less.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back