Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High Temp - Pil Resistant Material

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlj

Materials
Sep 13, 2007
US
Hi!

I've been researching various polymers for a temp range or -40F to 250F, that need to be resistant to 242 oil and 80W90 oil.

I've found PEEK as an option, but was hoping to find some less expensive options.

Thanks much for your input!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Polyphenyl sulfone is very resistance to car engine oil at operating temperature. I remember Stratasys made a prototype oil filter from that and ran it on a car for quite some time.

Chris DeArmitt PhD FRSC CChem

Are there mechanical property requirements? PTFE and various fluoroelastomers are used in these types of applications. For strong and stiff, consider polyamides, PPS, and PEEK.

80W90 is a lubricant used for gear applications such as hypoids for automotive axles. Yes, they can contain sulfur additives to provide EP (extreme pressure) performance.

phenolics, different grades are available depending on strength requirements, injection moldedable, cheap <$2/lb, love any hydrocarbon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back