Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High Temperature Cable (Wire Rope) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesjm

Mechanical
Jul 8, 2005
US
Hello everyone.

I have a large utility boiler and I need to lower a large piece of steel safely to the bottom. The load that I am lowering is about 400 pounds and the furnace temperature is about 2500 - 3000 F. Does anyone have any experience or know of any type of cable out there that is used in furnaces or ovens?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Having people work in hazardous situations that sound like the above.

Sounds like they were "lucky" the cable let go when it did.
[If an uncontrolled event woulda "taken us off," how about lowering the temperature a bit for a controlled maintenance activity?]

How about chains/fixtures made of molybdenum?

Arto,
Sounds to me like you didn't understand his situation. Have you ever worked around a big boiler? BTW, Mo has little oxidation resistance. Had time/money been no problem a big fat platinum chain would have survived all the way down.

Jamesjm,
Approx. how long did it take from the time the SS cable was exposed to the heat until it failed?

Arto is somewhat correct in his choice of words. Had the failure occured at a higher level, say 90 feet, and struck a tube, then you could have had a very serious occurance. Knocking out the unit would have been one of the least of your worries. Also, exposing workers to the conditions I am assuming, your safety manager should have had your neck. An open access port to an open, on-line boiler would throw out a huge amount of heat, even if the opening is small. I would consider this operation to be extremely foolish given the risks involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back