Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

High temperature inert barrier seal fluid / lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.

jatsg

Materials
Aug 18, 2008
US
I am searching for a barrier seal fluid/heat transfer fluid/lubricant that can a withstand constant temperature of 225C with spikes to 450C. Moreover, it needs to be inert/non-flamable and can't cost $1,000's per gallon, like Krytox.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was thinking more of a truely inert/completely non-flamable fluid, ie, some type of PFPE oil, but one that is economically feasable. Any suggestions?

My company conducted some testing of the Royal Purple grades and found signs of coking at higher temperatures in some, the GT910 in particular, so be wary of that when selecting the grade. I have used 'lesser' temperature rated Royal Purple fluids on high temperature applications with good success with a Plan 54 system to keep the residence time in the seal cavity and bulk barrier fluid temperature low.

I think finding a decent fluid for those temperatures would be fairly dificult. Perhaps a heat transfer fluid like Therminol might suffice.

It might also be wise to scrutinize the support system for this application to be sure that it can remove enough heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back