Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

high temperature oil punp mechanical seal

Status
Not open for further replies.

pardal

Automotive
Oct 17, 2001
AR
Will you give me a link to a manufacturer of a seal to withstand about 130 °C with a thermal transfer oil? Pardal

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Any of the main seal companies should be able to help you there, Chesterton, Flowserve, John Crane.... I tend to go with the larger companies, you have more of a guaranteed quick turn-around, they have more inventory on hand to repair with.

You need to be extreamly careful with high temp oil seals. I have really been having problems with oil temps to 375F especially if their is contamination in the oil. John Crane recommende the MLS Multiple lip seal design, only lasted 1 month, bellows seals collected large amounts of debris at the internal seal ring then failed. Ensure your product is very clean or a mechanical seal will only cause problems. I have had very good luck with Slade packing. Replaced many J.C seals with this packing that can be tightened to zero leakoff in high temp oil applications. Look them up on the net. My customers are changing back to packing from mechanical seals in large numbers when offered this product.

Poppeye... be fair now. Packing doesn't always mix well with process fluids that have high concentrations of solids. The rings can trap the solids and grind away at your shaft. (especially that soft graphite packing you've described) Quite a lot depends upon the individual process and the flush possiblities that can be supported.

What application was that lip seal suggested for? I'm sure that we can come up with something better suited for your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back