Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High temperature resin options

Status
Not open for further replies.

MerkXRTurbo

Computer
Jul 31, 2008
US
Hey guys, I'm just getting into carbon fiber fabrication and I'd like to use it to fabricate myself some intercooler piping. I've done some calculations and the extreme case scenario for temperature will be around 350F, and it will need to support pressures of 25-30psi exerted from the inside at this temperature.

Can anybody recommend a resin that can support my needs, for hopefully not too much money? I'm working with my personal budget here, so if the cost too large then the project will be a no-go.

I've found a few resins that seem like they should be able to take the forces that I'll be subjecting them to, but I am unable to find a small quantity supplier online. Any recommendations?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my (limited) experience, resins that can go that high are not cheap. We've used some resins that cure up over 600deg F, but that stuff was around $350/lb and was not easy to work with.

That may be more than what you need, but I think even resins in the 350-450 range are somewhat expensive.

Okay, if you _really_ want to use fiber...

Phenolic resin can take the heat, but work out your process with glass fiber first. The stuff is weird; it exudes water during the cure, just as it gels. You won't care much for the natural color, either; ugly coral pink. Carbon black will mask that... but of course you won't be able to see black fibers in black resin.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

If this is used at these temperatures regularly, there is a small plus: the resin will remain dry. This means a high temp cure (350 deg F) epoxy might work ok.

Having said that, phenolic is probably still a better bet unless other things rule it out. (Phenolic doesn't do secondary bonds all that well, as Mike H. says it's ugly, laminates tend to have lower properties than epoxy/polyester/vinyl ester, and it can be hard to make low porosity laminates out of it.)

If you want the inability to sleep and bad dreams when you finally do fall away, you could try silicates, but they are a bit pricey. Have to third or fourth the phenolics.

You say you are doing piping, so are you filament winding this piping? Just curious...no effect on the recommendation.

No I won't be filament winding as I am not setup to do that. I plan on making a mold out of foam, curing the carbon fiber around it, and then dissolving the mold away with solvent.

Thanks to all who have provided recommendations. This has been a big help about where to start looking.

Although the phenolic recommendation will provide adequate temperature capability I doubt that you will be able to create a water-tight structure without 200 psi or better during cure.

There are a handful of epoxy resins that offer 400F Tg's after cure/postcure. These offer the best potential for a structure that will contain water and endure the temperature.

You can get BMI resins with a Tg of 700F for about $50 a lb.
Some epoxies might work. But resins are generally considered hazardous for shipping purposes and therefore are not consumer products. Using aluminum might be a good idea.

You have to ask yourself why would any material supplier be interested in your application. Will the amount you buy even pay for the time they spend on the phone with you?

You could try people who supply composite tooling materials. They usually have carbon in resin that has to repeatedly withstand a 350 deg F production cure.

ACG in the UK have LTM210 and others, Airtech in CA have CEP-G3 and others, Cytec have Cyform 22 and others. These are all prepregs, but you can usually procure the resins in film form for RFI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back