Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High temperature valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsmoked

Electrical
Feb 18, 2005
US
I'm not having any success finding high temperature valves. As usual I'm probably not calling them what the industry might.

I have to closed-loop control the temperature of two rollers and an asphalt tray. They're heated with 440°F/230°C oil.
I need some sort of analog style valves of about any kind that will put up with that heat. Motor operated might make the most sense? Something around 3/4" to 1".

What do you know?

Keith Cress
kcress -

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is nothing challenging about your application. Usually the actuator is separated from the high temperature by a long stem. There was a manufacturer that made pneumatic operated diaphragm control valves that was so ubiquitous their name became a coloquialism for control valves but I'm drawing a blank on it right now. This type of valve is likely what you're looking for.

A Google search on "hot oil valve" turned up a number of useful data points, Keith, including a ThomasNet link:

I assume you're looking for something similar to these:
Baelz_3way_Valve_342_B_E07_DN15_125_PN16_25_cf6f3a3e7de8645a35b483ce7cd8ae74_vdj57v.jpg

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

440°F oil isn't particularly challenging in terms of sealing. Heck, these are control valves so they may not even need tight shut off capability. 440°F is certainly above the flash point of most oils I come across. In that case some sort of backup seal and leakage monitoring may be necessary.

Tug; Are these things usually globe valves?

MJCronin; I did not know a valve forum existed. Well dang, it's fairly active even.

Dan; Swear I tried that with useless results but "hot oil valves" is working pretty good. Thanks.

danw2; I've used Fisher many times, only for water though. Did not know they'd been slurped up by Emerson.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back