Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

high voltage generation system

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlpeter

Aerospace
Dec 15, 2009
FR
Hi all,
hope I'm in the right forum now.

We are working on a helicopter project that needs high voltage supply of approx. 800V.

The plan is to generate standardised 270V and then convert it up. May be there are other options. The importance is that it must be compromised with low weight and volume.

Do you know potential suppliers for airborne generators and converter?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

AC or DC? How many amps? How is this installation to be certified?

What's the 800V going to be used for? Typically, load equipment is supplied with one of the standard supply voltages, 28 Vdc, 115Vac, etc. If a subsystem requires some other voltage, its best to let those engineers take responsibility for integration and certification of the supply and load together.

Karl,

I'm also wondering if this is for AC or DC as well. Different options apply for either case.

Also might be best if you specify if the power is required on board, or in a towed device? Continuous or pulsed? Current?

Steven Fahey, CET

G'day Karl
You need a list of requirements to fill out before you can get started:
1. Certification basis for compliance purposes
2. Power characteristics:
2.1 Duty cycle,
2.2 Power requirement (watts)
2.3 Voltage input, voltage AC or DC
2.4 Voltage output, voltage AC or DC
If AC, single phase or 3 phase
3. Weight maximum
4. Volume constraints: LxWxH
5. Structural Mount requirements (locations of possible pount points). Flight and emergency alighting load factors.
6. Availability of cooling air.
7. Availability of aircraft grade electrical wiring, terminal blocks, connectors and switches CB's, fuses, etc rated to 800V.
Make sure that your interfaces with the equipment that requires the high voltage are all clearly defined so that you don't get caught out by "changes".
My experience with people who want to do this kind of thing is that they are totally focussed on their end and do not always adequately disclose the detail needed for an effective showing of regulatory compliance. Keep ahead of that facet of the exercise.
Regards
Graeme
"Let me bring order to your chaos"

Thanks Chaps for your responses.
Your reminders you made are clearly known to me.
Yet the actual question was not covered. Never mind, meanwhile I found a number of suppliers for Power supply components/ systems like Honeywell, Goodrich, Jenoptik and others.

yours

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back