Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

high voltage power supply diodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjeservice

Electrical
Jan 21, 2005
LB
hi
i need to know the types of rectifier diodes and rectification methodes suitable for obtaining a dc power of 110kv at 1 amp. suitable for supplying the electrostatic precipitator of cement factory
best regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have no idea, but I'd suggest that if you have to ask, you need to find someone that can furnish you a complete installation. There are too many things that can go wrong at those kinds of voltages.

I have no idea either, but it is highly unlikely that just a simple rectifier is all you will need.

I suppose the logical way to reach that sort of high voltage dc power level would be from a very large Cockroft Walton ladder system. That uses uses a chain of large capacitors and rectifiers built into a massive physical structure. Three such ladder systems operating from three phase of high voltage transformer, could each deliver 330 mA at 110 Kv.

Commercial rectifier stacks can be custom ordered up to several tens of Kv readily enough, and those could in turn be built into a much larger system with appropriate capacitors.

Some of the rectifier suppliers such as Semicron or Fastron may be able to suggest something, or even quote on the whole job. It is all a bit out of my league.

Dear friends
the power supply for this industrial system consist of single phase HV transformer with the rectifier buit inside the oil tank of the stepup transformer.
i need to know more detailed information about that industrial power supply it didnot use voltage multiplying methods(it may use switching mode methods to generates that voltage) but i am asking about the simple one
thanks in advance

"i need to know more detailed information "......WHY? Repairing, building, what? I doubt you are going to get much usefull information on a 110 kiliwatt switch mode high voltage power supply on a message bord! That is what the manufacturer is for.

Agree with Opera House, a 110 Kw single phase load is not going to make your supply authority terribly happy.

A rectifier load draws very high peak current spikes right at the voltage crests, and it will also have a very high inrush current at startup. It is just not a practical solution.

dear friends
yes there is a single phase power supply for that system the manufacturing companies deal with.
the SMPS is another power supply solution for the electrostatic precipirator the companies deal with now days.
although i worked for along time in electric and electronic field, i tell you that there are proficienal persons in this site

and about the high peaks current spikes ,there are some limiters in design methodes for that problem , The Electrostatic precipirator itself has a certain rates of sparks per second and this problem is solved in system by connecting a suitable chockes and resisitors in supply line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back