Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

highest reving automobile engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

86corolla

Automotive
Sep 14, 2008
CA
I'm trying to develope a new head design that wont have any rpm limit. I would like to use an existing long block to lower costs but I'm not sure which would be best. I'm leaning towards a four cylinder HONDA because parts are cheap and available. This would become the prototype engine with a lot of custom work so any engine would actually be fine as long as the long block could survive 10k+ rpm.

Any suggestions

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Convert a 4 stroke to a 2 stroke that way you have more firings for a given number of revs. A super charger/ turbo charger set up will be needed since you probably don't want to do all the work to make it a crankcase charged setup.
Just an idea!! Check out the old big 2 stroke diesel trucks using the 6-71 I love the sound of those big straight 6 2 stroke diesels, especially when run on straight pipes!! Of course they aren't high revving but just an example of what could be done.
Then of course for high revs on a oem available motor would be a Wankel. There's is no other feeling then bringing that puppy up to 7 grand without fear of grenading. With a bit of work you could probably make it go higher, It all depends on the dependability factor you are looking for.

86corolla,

The killer with recip piston engines are the inertia loads in the piston/conrod assembly due to the acceleration/deceleration experienced during each piston stroke, and the inertia loads and vibratory dynamics experienced in the sprung poppet valve and cam system of the valvetrain. These inertia loads, due to the kinematic linear accelerations of the system's mechanism, can be minimized by limiting the linear travel of the piston or valve. That is how recent F1 racing engines could achieve crank speeds in excess of 20,000 RPM. They used very short piston strokes and very low valve lifts with pneumatic closing springs.

The Honda NR500 race engine ran to 20,000 rpm and the Honda NR750 production motorcycle engine ran to 14,000 rpm:

Have fun with your project.
Terry

Hey 86corolla,

I am a little curious as to why you feel the cylinder head is the limiting factor for the RPM potential of a IC engine? What sustainable RPM range are you looking for? I notice that your original post was dated 02/14. Since it is now close to the end of March, have you not found anything interesting enough to warrant a response? Have you not found anything interesting enough to comment on or have you lost interest in your project?

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back