Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Highlight fields in the Expressions dialog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scout67

Mechanical
May 7, 2013
US
I have a question regarding the “Expressions” interface window.

Is it possible to have certain text fields highlighted, for easier/quicker identification? (For example could the "length" and "engage_min" fields be highlighted.)

If so, could someone please explain the process or attach a link to the appropriate help article?

Thank you, in advance.
Ken.
Version 10.3
expressions_nzqzgz.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Due to a lack of reply to this, I take it highlighting a field is not an option.

Would altering the text font be an option?
Maybe make the text font bold for an individual field.

Thank you.

Can you explain why you want this highlighting ? ( I do not think that highlighting exists. You can sort on "named" if you have changed or created new names, this might help.)
Might it be such that you very frequently open , change and save as into a new variant ?
If so, I would suggest that you make it into a "reusable component", where you can define the menu yourself, - present only the expressions you want to show and not the other ones.

there are several threads about reusable components here.
here's one :

/ Tomas

Regards
Tomas

Toost,

Thank you for your suggestion.

You are correct, in that I often open, alter, and save a variant of the file. The reason I am asking is to create an interface that is easier to navigate for those I work with, who are reluctant to use an expression driven model.

They would prefer to place a c'bore in a plate, then add a thread feature, to the next plate, and then assembly in a dumb solid of a screw the appropriate length. I use an altered moldwizard shcs, and edit the driving expressions. I was hoping to make the expressions dialog less intimidating, there by easier to use.

Ken --

Highlighting is not currently an option here.

Comments have been mentioned as one option. Sorting by comments could quickly bring key inputs to the top.

Collecting key inputs into a labeled expression group might be another option to explore.

But in the end, if you're trying "to create an interface that is easier to navigate for those I work with, who are reluctant to use an expression driven model", then it may be useful to know that both the Reusable Component tools and Product Template Studio are designed specifically to do *exactly* this. :)

Taylor Anderson
NX Product Manager, Knowledge Reuse and NX Design
Product Engineering Software
Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc.
(Phoenix, Arizona)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back