Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

highly distorted elements 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinsce

Mechanical
Jun 22, 2010
FR
Hello !!

I need some advice concerning a problem of distorted elements that happens after a plastic/rubber contact (using conta174 and targe170). The geometry deals with 2 plates. The element used is solid187 with non linear activation. I refined the mesh at the contact interface.
I applied a non excessive load (100N) on the top plate and blocked the 4 lines of the bottom plate.

When I launch the calculation I have a problem that indicates "one or more elements have become highly distorted". If you need further information to answer my question, you can ask me whatever you need.

If someone has any idea to help me...

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi

Try using the Solid285 this is a more suitable element for this type of problems.

Thanks for the proposal,

Unfortunately it still doesn't work. When I apply a little load (1N) on the top plate, the solution converges but when I rise the effort, an error message appears "one or more elements are highly distorted"... I tried to change the material properties and refine the mesh but it didn't solve the problem...

Is there a kind of meshing more suitable for this kind of problem ?? (quadrilateral, triangles...)

Hi
The tetra element should behave better under these conditions.
Maybe you can try to use the STABILIZE command?

Hi, you can also try with:
finer element
lower value of FKN,
more substeps,
active the nropt, unsym
consider the deformation instead of the external load

hope that helps

There's nothing to do... really difficult to solve my problems.

I hope somebody else could help me.

Thanks...

Please check your contact elements. Maybe you have some nodes at you contact and target surfaces, which are merged with each other. You can cheek that with these commands:

Esel, s, type, , 2 ( contact element)
Nsle
Esln
eplot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back