Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Highly distortion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruno Macedo

Mechanical
Jul 25, 2018
BR
Dear eng-tips Users,
Hello
i`m working on a project that i can do compression test to validated the data.
I`ve already read some papers, videos, explore the ansys, etc...
I`ll try to explain what i`m trying to simulate
First off all, its a static simulation.
The geometry its OK
I`ve fixed the bottom support of my geometry
And I wanna apply a load of 120kN at the center of my geometry and see how it will be the behavior... How much deformation it will soffer.

It gives me an error, highly distortion on element, try to apply the load more slowly try to increase steps, decrease time of substep.
But how can I apply a load more slowly? Step end time 0,0005. I`ve tried Substep initial 30 minimum 30 max 100
My mesh has a element size of 5mm. The othes configuration on the mesh is on Fine, agressive mechanical.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The error message is clear, but it is not possible to say with 100% certainty why this happens, without some more information.
If possible could you share a bit the dimensions (geometry and units used), type of mesh, the loading point and type (point load, remote point, pressure,..), the BC, the material model and properties you are using for this (e.g., a screenshot from ansys with all this information), so we can see why this happens.

Assuming that everything is setup correctly, and that the elements still distort too much for the solvers, then remeshing while solving might be an option (see link below for more info).

Link

For this kind of error I find it helpful to reduce the load significantly (try 1kN to start) and re run until the error is no longer present. This can let you know if it is a model issue or a design issue. More often than not you will see the model behaving in unexpected ways and realize some of your constraints or loads are off.

This Link and this Link might be useful.

Are you applying load as point load at centre? If yes, change​ the approach. Real life loads are always finite area based.

Thanks everyone, It works with lower loads.
I`m applying an pressure line in the rectangle shape on the center of my part.
A friend of mine told me that he tried on Abaqus and it worked. With 7mm element size 4 nodal points tetrahedral meshing on the superior plate and 5mm 7 nodal points tetrahedral mesh.
I`ve already changed one time the type of element but i`m not finding again, where does it is located?
I`m gonna try the Mesh Nonlinear Adaptivity.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back