Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hilti Chemical Anchor HIT-HY 200 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

upk

Structural
Oct 12, 2015
PH
Who has used Hilti Chemical Anchor Bolts?

Any problem with it?

What is Hilti chemical made of?

I need to use it to reinforce the poor A307 (should have used A325 bolts) that was installed years ago..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have used Hilti many times and they have useful software and customer service which is very helpful. I don't know what chemical it contains but they have all the applicable tests to backup any values they provide. I recommend the Hilti PROFIS software which is free to use to help determine Anchor Bolt capacities. The software assumes a completely rigid baseplate so you may need to put your own anchor bolt numbers in and compare to the software report.

Out of curiosity what issues are you seeing on the existing A307 anchor bolts? I see you scrambling around the forum regarding the existing anchor bolts, have they shown any signs of failure? Can you provide pictures?

There's 2 versions of this,

the 500 is fast drying

the 200 is slower drying

The hole must be cleaned out before applying, that's the major issue with this. The Hilti software should be available on their website, which may or may not need you to use the anchor fastening technical guide. All post installed anchors except for like one require you to use this bonding adhesive. Supposedly the bond is supposed to be stronger than concrete, however, construction generally makes the error of not cleaning out the holes after they are drilled.

The HIT-Z bolt requires no cleaning. You just inject the chemical gun and insert the bolts and good to go. It says:

"No hole cleaning required (above 5°C / 41°F) with HIT-HY 200" (see
I realized this morning the existing bolts was A307 (37.5 ksi) installed years ago. See picture at
It's not A325. And the contractor was in hurry to put the metal plates. I stopped them and thinking about the poor A307. Then learnt the HILTI with 75.3 ksi can be used.

For your future knowledge, you don't use A325 for anchor bolts. The preferred material for anchors in the US, is ASTM F1554, which comes in three grades, 36, 55, and 105. Grade 36 is weldable, grade 55 can be weldable when you specify S1, grade 105 is not weldable.

On good reason for never specifying A325 as anchor bolts is the relatively short thread length which doesn't provide much construction tolerance.

What do you mean by reinforce the poor A307?

If the bond strength is what you need, I dont think it matters what the steel anchor bolt is, if its steel strength controlling, having a much stronger adhesive wont help. The connection is as strong as the weakest part, steel, adhesive, or concrete strength.

What do you mean by reinforce the poor A307?

If the bond strength is what you need, I dont think it matters what the steel anchor bolt is, if its steel strength controlling, having a much stronger adhesive wont help. The connection is as strong as the weakest part, steel, adhesive, or concrete strength.

see:

qpL6kY.jpg

(or if no image above)

The poor A307 is not just low strength but it is also near the edge. So liable to pryout failure. In the anchor near the edge.. what is the rule again? that it must not be less than 1.5 Hef.. so if the anchor bolt is 4 inches.. it must be at least 6 inches away from edge, right? Because now it's only 2.8 - 3 inches away from edge. Usually how near the edge do you put your anchors?

oh by the way.. does the Hilti chemical anchors need torques wrench? Because the HST mechanical anchors need one.. I guess chemical anchors don't need one.. correct?

they will be opened 4 hours from now.. I talked to them yesterday.. it's like you can't use the mechanical anchors without torques wrench.. I forgot about the chemical bolts.. and torque wrenches are very expensive... so all of you guys have torque wrench for your applications of the anchors?

So are you proposing new anchor roads epoxied inside of those? Wont that increase your load, due to smaller moment arm, how much tension do you have on the poor A307 right now?

As for a torque wrench, if a contractor cannot afford one, then I dont think I would want him on my job.

So are you proposing new anchor roads epoxied inside of those? Wont that increase your load, due to smaller moment arm, how much tension do you have on the poor A307 right now?

As for a torque wrench, if a contractor cannot afford one, then I dont think I would want him on my job.

The designer proposed to add additional ones because he can't rely on the poor A307. What you mean the load will increase due to smaller moment arm? Can you give analogy in case of column?

upk, I think at this point you should follow the direction of the engineer, and not try to get a design via the internet. I see you have posted about 5 comments about this.

Is the demand higher than the capacity of the A307? If not, use them and move on. If so, then get a new design from your engineer, install it and move on.

We are not here to do designs for you, nor teach engineering.

Designer uses smaller plate ignoring the contribution of the A307 by treating it as cut. But contractor made bigger plate enough to use it. And designer colleague didn't seem to mind. Smaller moment arm can attract more load? I'm thinking of analogy in foundation or column.. Larger moment arm is supposed to make it stronger.. unless you mean the smaller base plate is making the inside anchors attract more load.. hmm...

if you move your anchors inside of the poor A307, the moment arm is smaller, thus a higher tension load in the bolt.

A higher tension load in the A307 bolt or the new bolt? Just this question and i'll visualize the rest. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back