Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hinge load - pressure only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ok, sorry, but what are you trying to achieve ?

i think you're trying to apply a bolt load into the two lugs. you can do this using an RBE "spider" element connecting the bolt to the lugs. possibly you could add gap elements, between the RBE and the lugs.

possibly easier is to model the bolt as a solid (or tube) and avoid the RBE ... why model the shaft as a 1D beam element ?

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

That is right sir, I'm trying to apply bolt load into two lugs. And my intention is to apply load directly on the spider nod, thus eliminating need for bolt and everything that goes on. Hinge is really not my problem, but the rest of construction that hinge is attached to, so I just want to apply force on it. And if you would be kind enough to tell me how to create RBE spider element, I'll be really grateful. I am beginner in FEMAP I might add.

Thank you.

Hi JoseAndres24,

You have two way to create Spider elements :

1/ Go to Model / Element, under Type choose Rigid and hit ok. Define your Master node (always 6dof) and slave nodes with the desired Degree of Freedom.

2/ Under Custom tools / Meshing, you can choose several method to create a RBE2 (spider) :

- from nodes, then you have to select all nodes around the bolt holes and then Femap will automatically create a spider with a master node defined in the center.
- from curves, then you have to select two curves which contain nodes on it and then Femap will create a spider following the same principle as previously
- from surface

Note that for the three method the RBE2 slave nodes will have only 3DOF.

Play a bit with those command and you will better understand how to create RBE2, it is really not difficult.

Regards,
SN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back