Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hiring a bridge engineer? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bridgeDisciple

Electrical
Jun 2, 2022
US
I have a startup company that needs bridge engineering design services. Its unusual in that we seek a modular bridge whose design is not site specific, and is robust enough to be deployable within a region. Thus we need a good design up-front, and then will need some follow-on work for each site application of it. So we seek an on-going relationship.

But finding s bridge engineer is proving to be a challenge. Most either work for a state DOT, or a huge AEC company who are not interested in our tiny little startup. Steel bridge engineering seems to be a specialty, and modular bridge design also. Finding overlapping expertise is tough. And i'm sure we don't know where/how to effectively look.

Anyone have advice for how to locate qualified bridge engineers who are free to work for us (for hire)?
Is there a list somewhere that i have not yet found? Or a professional trade organization that can do referrals? Does this forum have an associated job board where we could post our need?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think the issue here is that this sort of thing only really works when a public body of some sort installs it and they have a heap of requirements.

But getting back to your original question it looks to me like you're asking for the wrong thing as what you're describing is really a modular structure holding passenger pods or small cars. This not what you would classically call a "bridge", but is simply a structure, so you need a structural engineer experienced in tubular modular frames. Maybe even more like a crane system, but if you go looking for "bridge" engineers I don't think you'll find what you're looking for. Hell even guys used to design PEMBs may be more like what you need to come up with a system which creates your grids of frameworks.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

(LittleInch 7 kissymoose)
Interesting. When i first conceived of this and was considering feasibility without any knowledge of bridging at the time, i looked to construction cranes as my proof of feasibility. Trucked to site, assembled on site from sections, span farther than i need, and carry WAY more load than i need. I even shopped a few thinking i could use them as a quickie demonstrator (MVP). Extremely pricey!!! So where do i find SEs who design construction cranes? Is this done in-house by the crane companies (i doubt), or contracted out (to whom)?

Why do you say "tubular" frames. I've been thinking HSS, but hearing a lot of push back about hollow members in bridges - corrosion, inspection, etc.

PEMB guys is a thought, but i'm suspicious. Fatigue and failure modes seem different. Having part of a house fall around you is different than being dropped out of the sky. Those engineers are likely not fluent in AASHTO and NASB bridge guides. While much in those specs is auto-specific, i do think the issues they address are important and must be considered (with some translation) in my application. So i think fluency with those specs is important.

I agree with kissymoose. But i doubt there is a list for "creative", and multi-discipline seems to point me back to big SE (therefore AEC) firms.

I would look into a smaller specialty bridge firm that handles a wide variety of work. They're going to be much more likely to give your RFP serious consideration. One I've personally heard of is here: Link

We have worked with Genesis as well and would highly recommend.

I have visited US Bridge's fabrication facility. It was an amazing shop tour.

@bridgedisciple My understanding is that a primary reason for hesitancy in using HSS in bridges is because AWSD1.5 (the welding spec for bridges) does not include HSS. However, for pedestrian bridges, you are not required to use AWSD1.5. You can use AWS D1.1, which does include HSS, and which building design engineers and building fabricators are very familiar with. Plenty of HSS is used in pedestrian bridges.

Just so you know: they are very tough to find. I had a recruiter offer me 5k once if I could just give him the name of a bridge engineer in the market. He told me they are "as rare as hen's teeth".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back