Historic Steel Tubing Grades 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifitsmoving

Structural
Sep 4, 2023
AU
Hi,

Does anyone have reference material for historic grades of steel tubing in Australia? I am looking at a project involving a truss structure built out of tubing, and all I have is the following information:

* OD and Thickness listed as what I believe is a gauge. E.g. "1 11/16" OD 9g"
* The drawing lists material as being grade 13 or grade 20. It's painted, so can't tell what it is for sure, but believe it's mild steel based on the rest of the site where I have seen similar tubes that have rusted.
* Drawings are dated March 1958.
* Designed by Moore Crane / Malcolm & Moore Industries, but some drawings also call up Stewarts & Lloyds of Newcastle NSW.

Pipe_Grades_mi6scm.png
Pipe_Size_hi1pys.png

Does anyone know what the gauge means in terms of real thickness, and / or have information on what the material is?

I've checked Standards Australia's publication MP84, but the first Australian Standard that covers hollow sections dates to 1965, so it's not a structural grade. It could be a piping steel, or something American / British?

Thanks for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Download the 18th edition (1950) edition of the infamous Lysaght Referee: Link

It references Stewarts & Lloyds - who were distributors.

Page 57 has the following (see lower left corner):

lysaght_referee2_w1mavw.png

It tabulates 1-11/16" pipe, 9 gauge (class B) in both plain and galvanized. 9 gauge is 0.144" wall thickness.

SWG is Standard Wire Gauge, which I think is the same as British Wire Gauge (BWG).

Thanks for that Ingenuity - who knew Lysaght made anything other than roof sheeting? Looks like they used to sell anything and everything! Do you have any idea of the grade of steel? It didn't seem to be in that document. If worst comes to worst I can just go with AS4100's 170/300 rule.

On the meaning of SWG, the 1963 version of the Referee calls it Imperial Standard Wire Gauge, and has a handy-dandy conversion chart showing how it compares to 5 other gauge systems. It is not the same as BWG though.

You are welcome.

I have no idea on the grade. Maybe worth a call to the Australian Steel Institute where they may have info on historical steel grades.

If critical, is it possible to do a field coupon and mechanically test it?

I think BWG also is Birmingham Wire Gauge - and that is NOT the same as SWG, so yes, I agree with you, SWG≠BWG. But SWG = BSWG (British Standard Wire Gauge). Confusing as hell!

It would be good if the ASI can put out something like the SRIA's historic reinforcement guide, but for steel. I tried to contact them about something about 4 months ago but still haven't heard back from them so I'm not holding out hope they'll get back to me soon on this one.

I doubt the client will want to do a coupon test since the job is to do a lift plan for demolition. If it's even a problem I expect they'll just want to chuck more steel into spreader bars etc. to keep the stresses down.

Thanks again for the help!

The other question should be what the minimum wall thickness is.
I take the table as 0.144" nominal wall.
If this is tube then I would expect +/-10%, if it is pipe it would likely be +/-12.5%
Since they call this 1.25" ID it sounds like pipe.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back