Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Historical Clay/Terracotta Foundation Block 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have a few engineering handbooks from the early 1900's at home that I will check to see if there is any info. Probably won't be anything that isn't available in the link provided by stevenspm, but I will check anyway. The below link may also have some useful information for you.

It looks like the wall in question is retaining soil. It also looks like you're putting in new openings. The dead load on the wall is likely the only thing keeping the wall stable. Are you concerned at all about changing the nature of the loading on this wall?

Thanks for the links.

Not adding any new openings, had to cut down the top of wall for a mudroom addition. New foundation walls will go down to bottom of existing footing so no new pressures will be added to wall.

I've encountered numerous historic walls using clay tile construction, but, have never seen it used below grade where it could be a damp or wet environment.

Dik

Here's another link. This is a great site, 1000's of old catalogs.

Link

They have a book that may also be useful; "Handbook of Hollow Building Tile Construction" from 1922. I tried to upload it but apparently it's too large a file.

BB... excellent link... I'll send SRE a copy of the link. Downloaded the book, but, too large to upload to this site.

Dik

BTHL-1_i6v7hi.png

[idea]
[r2d2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back