Historical OWSJ Catalog - Dominion Bridge Company 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baffled Engineer

Structural
Jul 27, 2018
CA
Hello,

Does anyone have a copy of the OWSJ Catalog from the Dominion Bridge Company Limited (1970s)in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada?

I'm working on an OWSJ that has a hat section for the chords, and a round rod for the webs. I pulled the tag on one of the joists but the only info it has is the manufacturer and joist assembly #. It didn't have an SJI callout.

Thank you,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you reached out to SJI? I know they have a couple of Canadian members right now (granted, one of them is Vulcraft Canada, so they don't really count...), not sure if DBCL would have been involved with them. Even if they weren't, SJI may still have the catalogs or other information. I filled out their Joist Investigation Form not long ago and had copies of the manual (ca. 1950s) from a non-SJI fabricator in less than 48 hours.

I think that's the one I need.

I can match the bottom chord size but I didn't realize the top chord is different than the bottom chord...I'll have to confirm the top chord size when I get back on site.

Thanks a lot jayrod12!

No worries. I wouldn't be a good Canadian if I didn't help out when I can. And I'd be an even worse Winnipegger if I didn't have the catalogues of one of our notable old fabricators.

I worked there for a couple of summers when I was going to university...

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

jayrod12 said:
No worries. I wouldn't be a good Canadian if I didn't help out when I can. And I'd be an even worse Winnipegger if I didn't have the catalogues of one of our notable old fabricators.

I figured some members here were awesome Manitobans. [bigsmile]

Jayrod12,

Would you happen to have additional information about the Type H open web joist from Dominion Bridge from 1965? I couldn't find the spacing of the panel points in the document you provided to compare with as-built measurements.

I just learned that there was an adjacent roof added between 1960 to 1978 that had a different panel point pitch of 16" compared to 18" and 24" from the original roof I was reviewing. The original roof matches the pitch for Type S OWSJ (1975).

Thank you,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back