Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Historical Reinforcement Bar sizes and strength 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsp

Structural
Jun 4, 2002
CA
I am currently checking a slab that was design in 1967 for a new load, it has reinforcement bar designations of S501 & S502. Does anybody know what size and strength these bars would be, or where I can find out.
Thanx

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would guess that the S501 designation is a shop fabrication mark that calls for a #5 bar, with a sequence number (01, 02, etc) for various lengths and bends. In 1967, I would also guess that the bars were Grade 40, but if you can get a piece of one (in a non-stress condition) and test it, you can verify the strength. Grade 60 bars, I think, were just coming into play in the late 60's early 70's.

ACI 318-56 was the last to use ASTM A305(Grade 40) bars; ACI 318-1963 brought ASTM A432 and A61 (Grade 60) bars in to replace them. By 1967, most projects used Grade 60 bars.

JAE is on target with the designation. An "S" before the bar often indicates a slab use. The 5 is the bar size, and the last two digits ("01", "02") indicate where they are on the bill of materials, so each bar of each length and fabrication (hooks, etc.)has a unique identifier.

I agree with JAE and Mattman.
On an aside, I have an old factory steel frame building with concrete floor slabs that will be converted to apartments. Preliminary reports from the field say that the slab rebars are square. 1" square bars on edge so it looks like diamonds. I have not been to the sight yet. Anyone ever hear of this?

Pylko;

Out west in the Rocky Mountain states, I have seen
square bar stock twisted for use as reinforcement bar
in concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back