Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

History of Building Codes 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfat

Structural
Sep 8, 2008
PK
I am looking for some literature on the subject"history of Building codes".Purpose is to prepare a seminar on this topic.I want to explain that code is not only a technical document but is developed according to the local practice,local economic conditions, working conditions in that region etc etc.In most of the cases, its a top-down document,as the things were experienced/practiced first and then codified.( any comments?)
And i want references,like, i heard from my professor, that flat slab construction was first practiced,then the theory was developed and then codified.Where this fact came from? Are there any other examples? i'd like to know if anyone has to share something.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Codes are not necessarily "top down" documents. In the US, codes are as much a result of political wrangling as technical substance. For each issue, there are those on both sides of the argument for inclusion or exclusion with respect to codification.

I would suggest you check the following site:

Many of the largest cities had the earliest building codes. ASCE had some of the earliest codes and general design guides. Then the various materials associations had their own codes which were used in place of a local building code, such as AISC or ACI.

Also, look up Hammurabi, re: establishing the liability of a builder for a house that collapses.

thanks to all of you..
a234f56,thanks , i have added this file to my collection.
csd72,yes i have gone through wikipedia page.It has useful content.

From the bit of research i ve done till now,i've come to know that
- Code of Hammurabi ( around 3000 B.C) is the one whose details are known a bit.( Clauses referring to building construction found on wikipedia and on a few more sites)
- In 64 A.D.,Emperor Nero of Rome had some Master plan, related to Fire resistance and sanitation,on which basis Rome was rebuilt after burning.( i am searching if i can get some clauses as precise as written in Hammurabi code)
I am also looking for the code clauses or regulations/ordinances, which were developed after great fire of London(1666 A.D.) and Chicago Fire( 1871 A.D.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back